Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Letting Go of Magazines

Day 2 of our Simple Spring Cleanse! Today, the Cevraini's are letting go of some magazines/periodical type things as well as some paper clutter.

This morning, before I left for work, I asked my husband to "work on" his side of the room. I try to keep mine fairly clutter free (though, I do have my moments). However, his has been cluttered enough that it was difficult to get around books and things to make the bed. A few weeks ago, he got rid of a bunch of bags and clothes and things laying around, but the paper clutter remained. So...I asked. I did not nag. I did not whine. I simply said, "Honey, can you work on your side of the room today?" Granted, I should have been more specific in my request, but he knew what I meant.

I was sent a text this afternoon with this picture attached:


This shelf was full to overflowing with papers and books. There was stuff everywhere on the floor between the shelf and the bed! Now, there is even empty space on that shelf!! Yay! Notice that the magazine holder things are not full (they used to be) and the paper work is minimal. Didn't he do a great job!!? I sure think so! ITEM #1 for today!

What did he do with the stuff?

  • Papers went in the recycling or a few pieces are in the "filing" pile (one of my projects coming up)
  • Magazines are in the recycling...I'll make a note on that in a minute...
  • Books are on the one bookshelf we have in the living room. It may be affected during this cleanse...
  • Garbage is in the garbage
This is what the pile looks like for the recycling:


There are a few sales manual type things in this pile, but they will go to recycling since no one will want them since they are dated.

Now, about the recycling...

Normally, when we advise people on letting go of stuff, we tell you to make sure that the stuff that is leaving the house LEAVES THE HOUSE...this is because you do not want to move the clutter to a different space. It may cause some stress...

Needless to say, when I saw this pile of stuff at my recycling spot in my kitchen doorway, I was...let's just say...a little miffed! It's kinda in the middle of the floor. It would have taken five minutes to take it right out to our car. Not even 5 minutes...which leads me to ITEM #2 for today....

I need to make an effort to let go of only seeing the negative. For example, instead of me remembering that he had gone to the effort of cleaning up that space, I focused on the fact that there was now a mess right at the entry to my kitchen. I need to practice "Catch Them Doing a Good Job" theory of management!

From yesterday: The towels were delivered to AHT today and I looked in the mirror this morning and noticed how my body is changing and I was proud of myself. I noticed my stretch marks and smiled. They are my badges of honor in being a mom. I will continue to work on getting rid of that negative self-talk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment