Sunday, April 1, 2012

Letting Go of Email Clutter

Krystal sets such a great example - she inspired me to get my email inboxes cleaned up. I'm a techie, so I've got a lot of email accounts that I monitor regularly for different purposes. I spent a bunch of time working on these this weekend. I do have a lot of "Rules" and "Filters" set up to automate many of these.

I ended up purging more than 140 emails. It was time to be honest with myself. Am I really going to "read those later"? I don't think so...I already have so much reading to do. Instead, I am focusing on those that call to me or that are important to me. There are many that don't "serve me" anymore. That's OK. It's ok to let things go that don't serve a purpose for you anymore. No one says you have to keep following along. Let them go. There's plenty of other gifts coming to your inbox every day.

ITEM #1 - Letting go of Email Clutter

It's also the beginning of the month...for many, turning the calendar often leads to chaos because I don't have everything marked down on it yet. I have a wall calendar for the family as well as my electronic work calendar, electronic business calendar, my electronic kids' calendar and of course, my personal electronic calendar! Yes, I have that many. However, what I have chosen to do is merge them all into my Google calendar. I can see my hubby's calendar and Krystal's calendar too along side all of these. This is all on the same page that I can turn off or on, whichever suits my needs. I can also see these on my iPhone, which helps when I'm on the go.

As you know, I went through emails - many of them were about important dates coming up. As I went through, I updated all of the calendars. I also have Rebecca keep the school calendar info up to date on the family wall calendar. She doesn't do it the way I would (I try to make it too perfect), but I let her do this - she feels like she is contributing to the family and it definitely helps me out. As soon as you get those notices from school - write them down on the calendar and get rid of the piece of paper. It literally only takes a minute. If the kids are old enough - get them to do this part. They are perfectly capable, plus it helps them learn about calendars and time management.

Every Friday, at the end of my work day - I look back on the week and carry forward any tasks that need to be done the next week. I book those into my calendar. I also like to sit down on a Sunday evening and plan my 3 priorities for the coming week (this is from my participation in the Inner Circle from our great friend Stacey Curnow. Read more here: Inner Circle) I then plot these priorities on the calendar. On Monday nights, Krystal and I set our SLC priorities for the week and book them on the calendar as well. Here's a snapshot of this week:



The SLC Gals teach classes on setting up your Family Command Center (the calendar is one part of it). Let us know if you'd like us to share with your ladies group sometime!

ITEM #2 - Letting go of Calendar Chaos

I'm continuing to work on the Letting Go of Perfectionism thing. This is a toughie. Sometimes I feel like throwing up my hands and say "Why bother doing this. It won't stay this way" or "It won't be perfect so I should just forget it!" This kind of thinking leads to nothing getting done. I'm getting to the point where I'd rather have SOMETHING accomplished imperfectly than nothing at all.

How to you fight that over-bearing "Perfectionism"? Is it a problem for you? Maybe I'm the only one? LOL!

I have big plans for the coming week - my closet and my daughter's room (she's helping with that one!). We both have some stuff to let go there. It sure accumulates over the year! Don't forget to share your progress here! We'd love to hear from you!

Don't know where to start on your own Simple Spring Cleanse? Our mini-session will help you. Both of us will come to your home for an hour and show you what to do to get started. After that, we promise, you'll be addicted! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment